How it works
Nothing is impossible – we try to offer paragliding for everyone!
With our flight chair and certified equipment we are able to fly passengers with a disability, injury, medical condition or any sort of physical mobility impairment that prevents them from doing a regular paragliding tandem flight. At wheels4flying, the passengers don’t need to run for take-off and landing – all they need to do is sit back and enjoy the view!
Our equipment set-up currently allows for taking clients above 6 years of age and up to 90 kg body weight.
If you are using any kind of electronic medical equipment (pacemaker, defibrillator etc.) we kindly ask you to send us a written doctor’s permission that allows you to fly.
For any special requests (e.g. mental disabilities, financial problems etc.) please contact us directly before booking a flight.
WHERE WE FLY
We are based in Mayrhofen, a beautiful little mountain town of the Zillertal Valley in the heart of the Austrian alps. We take off from the top of the main mountain Penken at 2,000 metres. Two gondolas bring you to the very top of the mountain, where there are restaurants, toilets and more. We land all our flights in Mayrhofen.
Paragliding in a wheelchair – how does that work?
Let us take you through the entire process of a tandem flight with wheels4flying. A regular 20-30 minute tandem flight for wheelchair users from arrival to landing takes about one hour and half.
1. First, we meet and greet you in Mayrhofen. Several partner hotels offer wheelchair-accessible rooms and facilities, as well as parking. If you arrive by train or bus, please let us know and we can arrange a pick-up.
2. Before we start, you register with us and sign the waiver.
3. We will then arrange safe transport of yourself (and your assistant) to the Penken Gondola in Mayrhofen, where you will change into one of our wheelchairs for the transport up the mountain. Your own wheelchair will be brought back to the landing. You can purchase gondola tickets at a special rate for disabled people.
4. Up the mountain we escort you to the wheels4flying mountain base, where we explain and choose the equipment for you. You switch to the Handivol flight chair and your pilot takes you to the take-off, where the pilots prepare the wing and chair.
5. From here, everything is simple: you just sit back and enjoy the ride!
It’s that easy – you are safely strapped into the flight chair and the pilot wheels you into take-off.
6. After the breathtaking experience of freedom in the air you will land safely directly in Mayrhofen. You don’t have to do anything – the pilot handles the landing of the chair and brings you gently back to the ground. Your own wheelchair is already waiting for you there.